Books to Read for Pregnancy, Birth, Babies and Motherhood
This blog is reader supported, so when you purchase a product from a link on this site, I earn a small commission.
Over the years I've collected a reading list that I often will recommend to others (when asked). And I find myself adding to this list as I get my hands on new resources and books.
I know sometimes as parents, reading is a luxury. Well, reading books outside of your children's books that is! But, when you're seeking a good book for raising children, natural living, birthing and other topics that come up in our parenting path, here's a good list to get you started with choices to choose from.
- What Your Pediatrician Doesn't Know Can Hurt Your Child, Susan Markel, M.D.
- The Premature Baby Book, William Sears, M.D.
- The Attachment Parenting Book, William Sears, M.D.
- The Vaccine Book by Dr. Bob Sears, M.D.
- Attached at the Heart, Barbara Nicholson and Lysa Parker
- Playful Parenting, Lawrence J. Cohen, Ph. D.
- Unconditional Parenting, Alfie Kohn
- Nonviolent Communication, Marshall B. Rosenberg, Ph.D.
- What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations, Stephanie Cave M.D.
- The Baby Book, William Sears, M.D.
- The Discipline Book, William Sears, M.D.
- Siblings Without Rivalry, Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
- The Portable Pediatrician, Willam Sears, MD, Martha Sears, RN, Robert Sears, MD
- Happy Kids by Dr. Laura Markham
- Beyond the Sling by Mayim Bialik
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How To Stop Yelling and Start Connecting, Dr. Laura Markham
- Positive Discipline, Jane Nelsen
- Parenting with Love and Logic by Cline and Fay
- UnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World by Dr Michelle Borba
- Colic and Babies ~ Article by Dr Laura Markham
Children and Sleep
- Sleep: Misguided and Unhealthy Obsession
- Safe Cosleeping Guidelines by Dr. McKenna
- The No-Cry Sleep Solution, Elizabeth Pantley
- Why Human Babies Do Not and Should Not Sleep Alone by Dr. McKenna
- Understanding Your Child's Sleep Cues by Giselle Baumet
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (La Leche League International Book), La Leche League
- The Breastfeeding Book, Martha Sears, L.C.
- Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding, Ina May Gaskin
- Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond, Hilary Flower
- Breastfeeding Made Simple by by Nancy Mohrbacher IBCLC, Kathleen Kendall-Tackett PhD IBCLC and Jack Newman MD
- The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, Henci Goer
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
- Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way: Revised Edition, Susan McCutcheon-Rosegg
- Birthing from Within by Pam England
Natural Living Books
- Better Basics for the Home, Annie Berthold-Bond
- The Naturally Clean Home: 150 Super-Easy Herbal Formulas for Green Cleaning, Karyn Siegel-Maier
- Organic Body Care Recipes: 175 Homemade Herbal Formulas for Glowing Skin & a Vibrant Self, Stephanie Tourles
- The Creative Family, Amanda Blake Soule
- Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures, Amanda Blake Soule
- Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day, Shea Darian
- Festivals Family and Food, Diana Carey
- Aromatherapy and Massage for Mother and Baby by Allison England
- Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health by Rosemary Gladstar
- Healing Wise by Susun Weed
- The Way of Herbs by Michael Tierra
- Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar
- The Little Herb Encyclopedia by Jack Ritchason